About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Justus, I'm a Christian.I attended Patrick Henry College for three semesters, and I transfered to College of the Ozarks in the fall of 2013 where I graduated as an English major in 2016. I love the Lord Jesus Christ the savior of my soul. He has made me new. He leads me in the Old Path; He is the Way. I am not perfect; my Lord is sanctifying me though.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

You'll Find Your Way

Andrew Peterson is one of my favorite songwriters. He is so creative with his lyrics, but they are so open and clear that they touch a soft spot in my soul. His newest CD "Light for the Lost Boys" is wonderful. It has all of the AP nuances I've come to love with a few twists along the way. The album, much like others he has released has several themes that run throughout it. In this particular work Peterson focuses on childhood and growing up. I consider this work a sort of musical bildungsroman. In particular the album looks at the idea of a runaway child, much like the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-32. In the songs "You'll Find Your Way", "The Ballad of Jody Baxter", "Come Back Soon", "The Voice of Jesus", "Day by Day"  and  "The Cornerstone", the story plays out of the young boys (and girls) who run from home looking for adventure and escape and return home to the place where they belong. This idea comes together nicely with the theme of light and darkness on the album art (which can be seen here at this link, where you may also purchase the CD: https://store.rabbitroom.com/product/light-for-the-lost-boy). Light and darkness are explored (from the side of the Light naturally) in songs like "Carry the Fire", "Come Back Soon", and "Shine Your Light On Me". The album also looks at the issue of innocent children being born stained into a world ruined by the fall in which they must grow up. Songs like "Come Back Soon", "Day by Day", a "Light for the Lost Boys" is an album for grown ups who feel like children lost in the woods, for children who feel like they're growing up too fast, and for parents who see their children running away and getting lost. The Gospel preached in Peterson's lyrics is just what the title calls it, a Light for the Lost Boys.

Now that I've finished my review and summation of this album I'll get on with my blog. The reason I decided to review this album was because of his new music video (seen here) which takes part of its lyrics from one of  the verses which gave this blog its name. (Jeremiah 6:16) The music video hit me hard at the moment when the little boy is crying by the tree. I remember getting lost on the main campus of the Bible camp which I grew up going to. I was scheduled to go biking, an activity which I had been looking forward to all week. (Keep in mind that I was around 8 when this happened.) I returned to my dorm room to fetch my helmet, which my mom advised I pack and I gladly agreed, being one who has little taste for pain. However, the rest of the children going to the bike barn simply went there and got the helmets that had been provided. Since I went alone to get my helmet, I had to find my way to the bike barn alone as well. I didn't. I spent the time scheduled for bike riding crying behind a tree because I was lost. (I was right by the main building, I just couldn't find the path that went out into the woods where the bike barn was.)
     Recently I was thinking, or as I like to call it "introverting", and I thought about the feeling I had while hiding behind a tree. I felt afraid because I couldn't find my way, I felt alone because I couldn't find anyone to help me, and I felt cheated because I missed out on a great activity. If I had only followed the path they showed to us I could have been enjoying myself on those rusty old bikes which now serve as parts of a contraption called the "chariot ride" (a long train of seats connected to a tractor). This feeling is the one I get when I don't know what to do next, in life, when I have a problem with a friend of mine, or when I'm just lost. I get a pit in my stomach and I begin to wonder what the point of doing anything is. I feel like sitting behind a tree and crying. But "You'll Find Your Way" provides a hope to which I cling. I have been shown the Old Paths. I know where to go and I can follow the Light to the Way Home. Though I may sit and bemoan my misfortunes I always have the option of returning to the Old Paths and running Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment